Comprehensive, Effective Care
When treatment as usual is not working, The Retreat is here to provide compassionate, caring support. Residents seek treatment and mental health services at The Retreat because we provide the level and intensity of care that is needed to heal, even when traditional outpatient approaches have not helped. We offer a multidisciplinary treatment approach to a variety of psychiatric conditions that can be treated safely and effectively in a voluntary, unlocked environment. We also offer access to all consultative specialty services within Sheppard Pratt.
At The Retreat, treatment is highly individualized to meet the unique needs of each resident, and involves:
- Diagnostic assessment: Completion of a comprehensive diagnostic assessment is a primary focus during the first two weeks of treatment. This is a time for synthesizing the findings of the treatment team with the resident and planning for the remainder of their stay.
- Psychopharmacological interventions: Psychotropic medications are used with the highest degree of clinical expertise, taking into account the needs and wishes of the resident. We also use Electroconvulsive Therapy (ECT) and Transcranial Magnetic Stimulation (TMS) therapy as treatment for those with treatment-resistant depression.
- Individual and group psychotherapy: In addition to individual sessions with a treating doctor, residents have access to dialectical behavior therapy (DBT) and skills training, psychodynamic therapy, cognitive behavioral therapy (CBT), art therapy, and family therapy.
- Expressive and alternative treatments: Our offerings may include yoga, acupuncture, Traditional Chinese Medicine, equine therapy, and more.
- Transition to after care with follow up: We equip our residents with the skills and treatment plan they need to successfully return to the community, ensuring they thrive after they leave our care.
Establishing Relationships in Our Therapeutic Community
An important component of the healing journey at The Retreat is our diverse community of residents: individuals come to us from across the United States and from around the globe. During their stay at The Retreat, residents share understanding, wisdom, and camaraderie that cannot be found outside of our residential program. From group therapy to nights celebrating artistic expression, residents form strong bonds that foster growth and healing while in our therapeutic environment.