Sheppard Pratt offers psychiatric day programs for adults living with serious mental illness. Our programs deliver individualized services and resources to promote recovery and help clients become more independent.
What Is Psychiatric Rehabilitation?
Psychiatric rehabilitation encompasses a range of programs. They share the goal of helping people with serious mental illness successfully manage the symptoms of their illness and develop independent living skills.
Sheppard Pratt’s psychiatric rehabilitation day programs promote independent living skills through intensive daily support. Programs are conveniently located in counties throughout the state of Maryland.
In the evenings, clients return home. At home, they get hands-on practice using the skills they learn during the day.
Psychiatric Rehabilitation Programs: Why Choose Sheppard Pratt?
CARF, the Commission on the Accreditation of Rehabilitation Facilities, accredits Sheppard Pratt’s psychiatric rehabilitation programs. All of our programs are approved or licensed by Maryland Department of Health, Behavioral Health Administration, and local government agencies.
Many individuals are eligible for Behavioral Health Home services. We offer primary care support to people with a mental illness or substance abuse disorder. Our psychiatric day program offers wide-ranging services to support individuals with mental illness in reaching a higher level of independence.
Psychiatric Day Program: What to Expect
Our day program activities promote recovery through personalized assessment and rehabilitation planning. Through best practices and evidence-based interventions, we emphasize:
Self-management of mental and physical health conditions
We support health promotion and healthy lifestyle development for our clients through:
- Substance abuse education and support
- Monitoring of self-administered medication, if requested
- Psychoeducation, to help individuals better understand their illness
- Smoking cessation, chronic disease management, and illness prevention
- Therapeutic activities including art therapy, wellness exercise, and computer training
Independent living skills
We help our clients reach a higher level of independence by offering support with:
- Money management and meal preparation
- Locating, acquiring, and maintaining housing
- Socialization and peer interaction
- Vocational services, for those who wish to join the workforce
- Case management to coordinate clinical and support services from other agencies
We provide transportation to and from many of our day programs. Our clients may interact with staff including:
- Rehabilitation specialists
- Mental health workers
- Occupational therapists
- Licensed social workers
Psychiatric Rehabilitation at Sheppard Pratt
Our team of specialists addresses each person’s behavioral, physical, and social needs through:
- Clinical mental health services
- Individual counseling
- Group interactions
Individuals can also participate in off-site therapeutic recreation activities.
Psychiatric Rehabilitation Program for Transitional Age Youth (TAY)
Our transition to adulthood day program helps young adults living with a mental illness transition to adult life. We invite young adults ages 18 to 25 who have a psychiatric diagnosis and live with severe emotional and behavioral disabilities to take part in TAY.
Like our day programs for adults, TAY provides daily, structured activities in group settings. TAY has the same goals and uses the same evidence-based interventions, in an age and developmentally appropriate framework.
Psychiatric Rehabilitation Program Enrollment
Sheppard Pratt’s psychiatric rehabilitation day program is one of our comprehensive services. Our goal is to help individuals achieve the highest level of illness management and skill development.
If you or a loved one would like information on our conveniently located psychiatric rehabilitation day programs, or wish to enroll, please call:
- Baltimore, Baltimore County, Carroll County, and Harford Counties: 855-URECOVER (toll free)
- Frederick County: 301-662-0099, ext. 1273
- Howard County: 410-740-1901, ext. 7747
- Washington County: 301-733-6063