The Sheppard Pratt School in Cumberland is a nonpublic special education day school. We provide year-round educational, vocational, and daily living services to students grades K through 12 with emotional disabilities and autism.
From the moment you enter the Sheppard Pratt School, you are greeted by our students’ amazing
Our experienced, compassionate team of administrators, certified teachers, assistant behavior specialists, social workers, therapists, transition services coordinators, and trained educational assistants understand that every child deserves individualized instruction and support. Through our robust curriculum, each program helps students meet their educational goals and prepares them for life beyond the classroom.
Our students and their families benefit from the structured daily routine that we offer. We distinguish ourselves by providing:
- 12 months of instruction
- Small class sizes
- Allegany County Curriculum and Maryland State College and Career Readiness Curriculum
- Syracuse Community Reference-Curriculum
- Occupational therapy (provided by the Allegany County school system)
- Speech and language therapy (provided by the Allegany County school system)
- Vocational and life skills training
- Psychiatric services, as needed
- Social services
- Nursing services
- Breakfast and hot lunch daily
- Transition services
- Internship opportunities
- Community outings
- Culinary arts, art, physical education, equine therapy, and horticulture
These services and activities are just a small part of the diverse programming offered at Sheppard Pratt School in Cumberland. As part of nationally-renowned Sheppard Pratt, we have access to innovative training, technology, and therapies, and integrate all of these offerings into our school.
Most of our students are from Allegany County, but given our unique, comprehensive offerings, we have students travel to our school from neighboring counties. We currently have