The Geriatric Treatment Team
Each patient is assigned a highly specialized treatment team that consists of:
- Medical Director, a psychiatrist who oversees all of the inpatient geriatric services at Sheppard Pratt.
- Board Certified Psychiatrist, a psychiatrist who works directly with the medical director in providing care to patients.
- Psychiatric nurse practitioner, a certified advanced practice nurse who provides a range of mental health treatment and support services to patients and their families.
- Program Director, a registered nurse who is responsible for program development, milieu activities, and the day-to-day function of the program.
- Psychiatric nurses, who help patients with their daily activities, managing their symptoms, administering medication, and any medical concerns.
- Mental health workers, who are trained staff members that support a therapeutic milieu and work directly with the clinical treatment team.
- Social worker, who is your primary contact and liaison. The social worker attends daily treatment team meetings, and will keep you informed about your loved one’s clinical progress. The social worker will also work with you to obtain a family history in order to get a holistic view of your loved one.
- Occupational therapist, who facilitates activities to help patients learn how to meet their physical, emotional, and cognitive needs.
- Music therapist, who works with patients to provide motivation for movement and improve circulation, muscle strength, and tolerance. Music therapy and reminiscence therapy are also combined to increase wellbeing in those with memory-related conditions.
- Art therapist, who works with patients to help them safely express thoughts and feelings, foster coping skills, and engage in impulse control.
- Physical therapist, who places a special emphasis on the needs of aging adults to help restore mobility, increase fitness levels, and reduce overall pain.