Fahad Mukhtar, MD, MPH, is a psychiatrist with the neuromodulation unit within the Institute for Advanced Diagnostics and Therapeutics. He received his MBBS from Bayero University in Kano, Nigeria. He then worked for a while in medical hospitals in Nigeria before coming to the United States, where he earned his master’s degree in public health-epidemiology from Texas A&M University. Dr. Mukhtar completed three years of his residency in psychiatry at Saint Elizabeth’s Hospital in Washington, DC and completed his fourth year at the National Institute of Mental Health where he was involved in research with the non-invasive neuromodulation unit. He attended additional trainings including in psychoanalysis from the Washington Baltimore Center for Psychoanalysis, in transcranial magnetic stimulation from Duke University and in electroconvulsive therapy from Emory University.
He is a member of the American Psychiatric Association, the American Academy of Addiction Psychiatry, the Society of Biological Psychiatry, and the American Medical Association. Dr. Mukhtar is widely published in both the medical and psychiatric fields. His varied research interests include cancer, chronic disease, racial disparities in medical treatment, Alzheimer’s disease, media usage in children, and more. Dr. Mukhtar has won a number of awards and recognitions for his research.
Texas A&M University
Saint Elizabeth’s Hospital
National Institute of Mental Health
- Member, American Psychiatric Association
- Member, American Academy of Addiction Psychiatry
- Member, Society of Biological Psychiatry
- Member, American Medical Association
- Kano State/Texas A and M University Graduate Scholarship Award
- University of South Florida College of Public Health Doctoral Fellowship Award
- Student Honorary Awards for Research and Practice (SHARP) for SLEEP 2016 conference
- Student Honorary Awards for Research and Practice (SHARP) for Lymphoma and Myeloma, 2016 conference
- USF Health Research Day Student Presentation Award
- Student Honorary Awards for Research and Practice (SHARP) for American College of Epidemiology, 2017 conference
- Sheeram Award winner, Saint Elizabeth’s Hospital (2019 & 2021) in recognition of scholarly research activities
- Washington Psychiatry Society Resident Research Paper Award 2021
- Fahad Mukhtar, Mmadili Ilozumba, Ovie Utuama, Oguz Cimenler. Change in pattern of secondary cancers after Kaposi Sarcoma in the era of Antiretroviral Therapy. JAMA Oncol, 4(1), 1-7. Doi: 10.1001/jamaoncol.2017.2395
- Mukhtar, F., Boffetta, P., Risch, H. A., Park, J. Y., Bubu, O. M., Womack, L., ... & Luu, H. N. (2017). Survival predictors of Burkitt's lymphoma in children, adults and elderly in the United States during 2000–2013. International journal of cancer, 140(7), 1494-1502. PMID: 28006853
- Mmadili Ilozumba, Toni Panaou, Fahad Mukhtar, Nnnadozie Emechebe, Samuel Alao, Benjamin Jacob. Displaying non- subtle randomness within a Durbin- Watson statistic for quantitating non-zero autocorrelation in grid- stratified, prostate cancer, zip code polygons geographically sampled in Hillsborough County, Florida. International Journal of Geographic Information System, 4 (3), 1-21.
- Mukhtar, F., Boffetta, P., Dabo, B., Park, J. Y., Tran, C. T., Tran, T. V., ... & Zheng, W. (2018). Disparities by race, age, and sex in the improvement of survival for lymphoma: Findings from a population-based study. PloS one, 13(7), e0199745.
- Mukhtar Fahad, Omonigho M. Bubu and Hung N Luu. "Clinical characteristics and survival of patients with multiple metachronous esophageal tumor." Cancer treatment and research communications 17 (2018): 13-17.
- Mukhtar Fahad, Abimbola Michael-Asalu, and Omonigho M. Bubu. "Media devices and sociobehavioral risk factors of conduct disorder in children." Health Education and Care. Volume 3(2): 1-6 (2018).
- Omonigho M Bubu, Elizabeth Pirraglia, Andreia G Andrade, Ram A Sharma, Sandra Gimenez-Badia, Ogie Q Umasabor-Bubu, Megan M Hogan, Amanda M Shim, Fahad Mukhtar, NidhiSharma, Alfred K Mbah, Azizi A Seixas, Korey Kam, Ferdinand Zizi, Amy R Borenstein, James AMortimer, Kevin E Kip, David Morgan, Ivana Rosenzweig, Indu Ayappa, David M Rapoport,Girardin Jean-Louis, Andrew W Varga, Ricardo S Osorio, Obstructive Sleep Apnea and Longitudinal Alzheimer's disease biomarker changes, Sleep, zsz048. https://doi.org/10.1093/sleep/zsz048
- Megan Hogan, Amanda Shim, Umasabor-Bubu Ogie Queen, Mukhtar Fahad, & Omonigho, Michael Bubu. Obstructive Sleep Apnea is Associated with Longitudinal Increases in Amyloid Burden in Elderly Mild Cognitive Impairment Individuals. American Journal of Undergraduate Research. Volume 15, Issue 4. March 2019
- Onyeakusi, Nnaemeka E., Fahad Mukhtar, Semiu O. Gbadamosi, Adebamike Oshunbade, Adeyinka C. Adejumo, Olubode Olufajo, and Jude Owoh. "Cancer-Related Pain Is an Independent Predictor of In-Hospital Opioid Overdose: A Propensity-Matched Analysis." Pain Medicine (2019).
- Onyeakusi, Nnaemeka E., Semiu Gbadamosi, Fahad Mukhtar, Chinelo Orji, Ugochukwu Ugwuowo, Onyenikewe Igbeta, Adeyinka Adejumo, Olalekan Akanbi, and Olubode A. Olufajo. "Association between Long-Term NSAID Use and Opioid Abuse among Patients with Breast Cancer." Cancer treatment and research communications (2019): 100156.
- Utuama, Ovie, Fahad Mukhtar, Yen Thi-Hai Pham, Bashir Dabo, Priyashi Manani, Jenna Moser, Abimbola Michael-Asalu et al. "Racial/ethnic, age and sex disparities in leukemia survival among adults in the United States during 1973-2014 period." PloS one 14, no. 8 (2019).
- Akram, Faisal, Marianela Rosales, Sanjay Chaudhuri, Seyed M. Mansouripour, Usman Sharif, Anum Maqsood, Abhishek Wadhawan, Farooq Mohyuddin, and Fahad Mukhtar. "Predictors of Civil and Forensic Inpatient Psychiatric Readmissions at a Public Mental Health Hospital." Psychiatry Research (2020): 113447.
- Omonigho M. Bubu, Ogie Q. Umasabor-Bubu, Arlener D Turner, Ankit Parekh, Anna E. Mullins, Korey Kam, Madeline K. Birckbichler, Fahad Mukhtar, Alfred K Mbah, Natasha J. Williams, David M. Rapoport, Mony de Leon, Girardin Jean-Louis, Indu Ayappa, Andrew W. Varga, Ricardo S. Osorio. Self-reported obstructive sleep apnea, amyloid and tau burden, and Alzheimer's disease time-dependent progression. Alzheimer's Dement. 2020; 1- 20.
- Abdulai, Abubakar Sadiq Bouda, Fahad Mukhtar, and Michael Ehrlich. "United States’ Performance on Emergency Department Throughput, 2006 to 2016." Annals of Emergency Medicine 78, no. 1 (2021): 174-190.
- Abdulai, Abubakar-Sadiq B., Fahad Mukhtar, and Michael Ehrlich. "Decreased racial and ethnic disparities in emergency department wait time in the United States." Medical Care 60, no. 1 (2022): 13-21.
- Dayyab FM, Mukhtar F, Iliyasu G, Habib AG. Determinants of loss to follow-up among people living with HIV on antiretroviral therapy in Nigeria. Afr J AIDS Res. 2021 Mar;20(1):93-99. doi:10.2989/16085906.2021.1874444. PMID: 33685377.
- Mukhtar, Fahad, and Philip Candilis. "Pandemics and suicide risk: lessons from COVID and its predecessors." The Journal of Nervous and Mental Disease 210, no. 10 (2022): 799- 807.