Through Sheppard Pratt’s Youth First Care Program, we have caring, compassionate mental health therapists working in Prince George’s County Schools. Our grant-funded services are available to students and their families at no cost. Because our therapists are embedded directly in the school and services are free of charge to our clients, we can address many of the common barriers to therapy like transportation and cost.
Our mental health therapists provide student support and mental health services to elementary, middle, and high school students in Prince George’s County Public Schools.
- Diagnostic evaluations and treatment planning
- Skill development and student support groups
- Referral supports to psychiatric care and/or medication management as needed
- Crisis intervention and stabilization
- Child, family, and/or group therapy
- Classroom observations and teacher consultation, including social-emotional learning (SEL) consultation
- Parent workshops and staff professional development opportunities on behavioral issues
How to Access Services
We collaborate closely with the Prince George’s County Public School System. Our team accepts referrals from community school coordinators, case managers, and professional school counselors.
Once we receive a referral, we make sure that our services are an appropriate level of care for the student. If we are a good fit, we begin providing therapy and other needed services. If we are not able provide the services needed or there are additional mental health services required which are outside of our scope, we will help to find a more appropriate community-based resource.
For more information about the Youth First Care Program or to see if services are available in your school, contact Liz Briganty, LCSW-C, Program Director at 240-683-6580 x209 or Liz.Briganty@sheppardpratt.org.