Sheppard Pratt offers housing and employment solutions for homeless veterans, thanks to support from the Department of Veterans Affairs (VA), the Department of Labor, and other partners.
Support for Homeless Veterans
Several competitive, community-based grants fund Sheppard Pratt’s work to help prevent homelessness among veterans in our community:
Supportive Services for Veterans Families (SSVF)
Through the Supportive Services for Veteran Families (SSVF) program, we help veteran families and individuals to secure permanent housing. SSVF provides a short, intensive period of case management to link families to benefits and sometimes provides temporary financial assistance with housing or moving expenses. This program is funded by the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs.
Services may include:
- Financial assistance for rent payments, moving costs, or security deposits
- Help finding housing
- Referrals to legal services
- Referrals to health care services
- Child care support
- Transportation assistance
- At least one day of active military service, and
- Discharge other than dishonorable or bad conduct discharge due to Grand Court Martial, and
- Very low income, and
- Must be at risk of becoming homeless OR currently homeless
Contact us to learn more: 410-282-5900 Ext 3333
North Point Veterans Home: Help for Homeless Veterans
North Point Veterans Program is a clinically intensive transitional housing program for homeless male veterans with a mental health and/or Substance Use Disorder diagnosis. Funded by a VA grant, North Point provides transitional housing with a goal of increased income and permanent housing.
For up to 24 months, we help veterans get re-established in the community with:
- Employment support
- Financial counseling, such as money management education
- Help securing VA benefits
- Support for mental illness, substance abuse, or both
- Recovery-oriented services designed to support veterans with a substance use disorder
- Training and assistance in developing independent living skills
North Point provides meals, laundry services, and activities. Residents participate by completing chores and paying a monthly, income-based program fee.
Contact us to learn more: 240-500-3105
Homeless Veteran Reintegration Program
The Homeless Veteran Reintegration (HVRP) Program helps veterans to get meaningful employment, through industry-recognized certification programs, training, job placement, and other resources that address underlying barriers to employment.
Contact us to learn more: 410-453-9553 x6112 (Baltimore City, Baltimore County, & Harford County) or 240-344-8274 (Western Maryland & West Virginia)