The veterans housing programs offered by Sheppard Pratt Health System help eligible veterans and their families find stable housing. We aim to prevent and eliminate homelessness among veterans and their families.
Support for Homeless Veterans
Several competitive, community-based grants fund Sheppard Pratt’s work to help prevent homelessness among veterans in our community:
Supportive Services for Veterans Families (SSVF)
Clients can get short-term assistance through this program funded by the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA). Services include:
- Credit counseling and help with financial management and financial planning
- Financial assistance for moving costs or late rent payments
- Help finding housing
- Legal services and landlord mediation
- Access to healthcare services
- Child care support
- Transportation assistance
Homeless Veteran Reintegration Program
Many of our clients are eligible for services from the Homeless Veteran Reintegration Program, which helps homeless veterans re-engage in the workforce. Funding for this program comes from the U.S. Department of Labor, Veteran Employment and Training Services.
North Point Veterans Home: Help for Homeless Veterans
Veterans with existing mental health issues may be eligible for the North Point Veterans Home. Funded by a VA grant, North Point provides co-ed, skills-based transitional housing for homeless veterans. The goal is to help veterans get back on their feet and find stable housing.
For up to 24 months, we help veterans get re-established in the community with:
- Employment support
- Financial counseling, such as money management education
- Help securing VA benefits
- Support for mental illness, substance abuse, or both
- Recovery-oriented services designed to support sobriety for veterans with a substance use disorder
- Training and assistance in developing independent living skills
North Point provides meals, laundry services, and activities. Residents participate by completing chores and paying a monthly, income-based program fee.
Veterans housing is one of Sheppard Pratt’s housing support services. Housing support services are part of our portfolio of service offerings to help people achieve the highest possible level of independence.
For more information about our veterans housing services, or to make a referral, contact:
- North Point Services: 240-500-3105
- Operation New Start: 240-344-8274