General Neuropsychiatry Services
What is Neuropsychiatry?
Neuropsychiatry combines specialized expertise in disorders of the nervous system (neurology) and mental health conditions (psychiatry). Our expertise spans the neurological and mental health components of problems such as dementia, concussions, and autism, meaning our team delivers effective care that gets at the root of the problem.
Neuropsychiatry at Sheppard Pratt: Why Choose Us?
Sheppard Pratt is home to one of the nation’s leading neuropsychiatry programs. Since 1997, our collaborative team of experts has been delivering compassionate care to people with memory, thinking, and emotional problems.
Highlights of our offerings include:
- Expertise: Our close-knit team of neuropsychiatry experts includes psychiatrists who have completed additional training through fellowships in areas such as neuropsychiatry, behavioral neurology, and geriatric psychiatry.
- Comprehensive care: At Sheppard Pratt, your loved one receives more of the services they need, all in one convenient program. Patients receive a detailed evaluation and treatments such as medication, cognitive behavioral therapy, skills training, and other therapies and interventions, all from the same team. Find out more about neuropsychiatric treatments.
- Coordination with community providers: We take into account the care settings that best meet your loved one’s needs. For patients who are best served in a residential program, assisted living program, or day program, we coordinate with local providers, so your loved one receives consistent care.
- Research: We are advancing neuropsychiatric care through research. We partner with the Sheppard Pratt research program, and are doing translational research in our clinic. Learn more about our research here.
- Leadership: We are educating the next generation of neuropsychiatrists through the University of Maryland/Sheppard Pratt residency program. Learn more about the residency program.
Neuropsychiatry Treatment Offerings
Our neuropsychiatric treatment program includes the following, regardless of specialty:
- Neuropsychiatric evaluations: Our neuropsychiatrists have highly specialized training and years of experience, giving us the specialized knowledge needed to make an accurate diagnosis.
- Personalized treatment plan: We recommend a combination of treatments to help your loved one live the best quality of life. This plan may include cognitive behavioral therapy and coordination with local nursing homes and assisted living centers. Find out more about neuropsychiatric treatments.