Mental Health Crisis/Psychiatric Crisis
During the crisis, the person may be:
- Agitated and upset
- At risk of harm to themselves or others
- Compromised emotionally
- Experiencing suicidal ideation
If left alone or untreated, a mental health crisis may become a mental health emergency.
During a mental health crisis, a person:
- Often thinks about or discusses suicide
- May engage in acts of self-harm
- May self-medicate with drugs or alcohol
- May engage in erratic or risky behaviors
- May become emotionally unstable, distraught, or depressed
The event leading to a mental health crisis will be distinct for each person, and feels very overwhelming for that person.