Second Opinion Clinic
Looking for a second opinion when it comes to your mental health treatment? We offer a Second Opinion Clinic through the Institute for Advanced Diagnostics and Therapeutics. Fill out the form below to connect with our team.
If you are experiencing an emergency or life-threatening situation and need immediate attention, please call 911 to find the closest hospital emergency room that can provide assistance.
Sheppard Pratt’s Second Opinion Clinic is designed for people who suffer from treatment-resistant depression – meaning they have tried three or more medications without experiencing relief – and/or other mood disorders.
The Second Opinion Clinic may be a good fit for you if:
- You have tried three or more psychiatric medications, and have not experienced improvement in symptoms
- You have an outpatient psychiatrist or nurse practitioner
- You are interested in obtaining a second opinion
- You are interested in learning more about alternate therapeutic treatment options, which may include medication, neurostimulation, or other forms of treatment
- Are age 18 or older
What to expect from Sheppard Pratt’s Second Opinion Clinic:
- You will receive paperwork via email within 24 hours. Additional documentation is required prior to scheduling your visit, including the most recent progress note from your outpatient provider. This can be emailed to IADT@Sheppardpratt.org or faxed to 410-938-3448.
- Once all required paperwork is received and reviewed, a nurse will reach out to you and your outpatient provider to ask additional screening questions. The nurse may ask for additional medical records or lab results as needed. This call is usually completed within 2-3 business days of receiving the required paperwork.
- Once it is determined that you are appropriate for the Second Opinion Clinic, a member of our registration team will verify your insurance benefits and reach out to schedule your consultation.
- The appointment will take place in the Institute for Advanced Diagnostics and Therapeutics which is located on the Towson campus of Sheppard Pratt. Directions and a map will be sent prior to your appointment.
- Appointments take approximately 90 minutes to complete and are held with one of our institute experts. You should arrive 15 minutes prior to your scheduled time to complete any additional paperwork and for nursing to obtain vitals. The institute provider will review the provided medical records, complete a comprehensive patient interview with you, and make recommendations as appropriate. At your request, a copy of this consultation can be sent to your current outpatient provider.
- If you are clinically appropriate and willing to consent to additional treatment options, those options and the next steps will be discussed with you during this appointment. Please note that your current outpatient provider will be required to submit a referral for any of the additional treatment options available within the institute.
Insurance Accepted at the Second Opinion Clinic
The Second Opinion Clinic participates with Maryland Medicaid and Medicare and many major insurance companies (including CareFirst, CIGNA, Aetna, United Healthcare, and Kaiser). Because of variations between policies, it is best to contact your insurer directly to determine whether we are in their network for your plan.