Dr. Benedicto Borja is the medical director of crisis services and director of resident and medical student education at Sheppard Pratt Health System. Dr. Borja also serves as the associate director of the combined University of Maryland/Sheppard Pratt Psychiatry Residency Program, and a clinical associate professor of psychiatry at the University of Maryland School of Medicine. He has served as a Senior Oral Boards Examiner for the American Board of Psychiatry and Neurology.
He earned his MD from the University of Santo Tomas in the Philippines, and completed his residency training at the University of Maryland/Sheppard Pratt Health System Residency Training Program. In addition, he earned a certificate in education from the Harvard Macy Institute in Boston, MA. Dr. Borja is certified in Eye Movement Desensitization Reprocessing (EMDR). Dr. Borja is board certified in general psychiatry, and has nearly 20 years of experience in crisis and emergency psychiatry.
University of Santo Tomas
University of Maryland/Sheppard Pratt
Professional Organizations and Awards
- Diplomate, General Psychiatry, American Board of Psychiatry and Neurology
- Member, American Psychiatric Association
- Member, Maryland Psychiatric Society
- Member, American Association of Emergency Psychiatry
- Member, Coalition on Psychiatry Emergencies
- Best Teacher in Postgraduate/Residency Education, Virginia Huffer Excellence Award, Department of Psychiatry, University of Maryland, 2006
- Best Teacher in Medical Student Education, Virginia Huffer Excellence Award, Department of Psychiatry, University of Maryland, 2007
- Outstanding Community Preceptor Award, Department of Family & Community Medicine, University of Maryland, 2007
- Best Teacher of the Year Award, Carilion Clinic Psychiatry Residency Program, Department of Psychiatry & Behavioral Medicine, Virginia Tech Carilion School of Medicine, 2010
- Outstanding Faculty of the Year (Volunteer), University of Maryland/Sheppard Pratt Psychiatry Residency Program, University of Maryland, 2013
- The Jose Arana D. Award for Excellence as a Role Model in Psychiatry, University of Maryland/Sheppard Pratt Psychiatry Residency Program, 2016
Winkler, A, DeLaTorre, R Borja, B, Colombo, A, Roca, R. Trivedi, H. “Psychiatric Crisis Assessment: Descriptive Multi Year Date From the Crisis Walk In Clinic at Sheppard Pratt Health System”, Poster presented at the American Psychiatric Association (APA) in May 2019 at San Francisco, CA.
Borja B, Sharfstein, S. The Role of Emergency Care: Disparities in Psychiatric Care, Clinical and Cross-Cultural Perspectives, Edited by Ruiz Pedro. Primm A. Lippincott Williams & Wilkins, Baltimore MD (2010).
Borja B, Borja CS, Gade S. Psychiatric Emergency in the Geriatric Population: Clinics in Geriatric Medicine, Edited by Mattu A, Winters, M & Grundmann, K. W.B. Saunders Company, Philadelphia, PA (2007)