Patient Rights/Medical Records
Careers/Volunteers Questions


  • Where are you located?

    • We have two hospital campuses:
      Towson Campus
      6501 N. Charles Street
      Towson, MD 21204
      Phone: 410-938-3000

      Ellicott City Campus
      4100 College Avenue
      Ellicott City, MD 21041
      Phone: 410-938-3000

      We have other locations throughout Maryland. Please call Therapy Referral Services to find the location nearest you at 410-938-5000, Monday through Friday, 8 a.m. - 4:30 p.m., or visit our LOCATIONS page.
  • When are visiting hours?

    • All units offer visiting hours seven days a week, including on holidays; however, the specific hours vary by unit. Please contact the unit directly for more specific information regarding visiting times.
  • What is your mailing address?

    • Sheppard Pratt Health System
      6501 N. Charles Street
      PO Box 6815
      Baltimore, Maryland 21285
  • What are your toll-free and fax numbers?

    • TOLL-FREE: 1-800-627-0330
      FAX: 410-938-4532
  • What are your TTY and video phone (VP) numbers?

    • TTY: 410-938-3075
      VP: 443-275-5517
  • How do I get to Sheppard Pratt Health System?

    • To get to the Towson, MD campus of Sheppard Pratt Health System:

      Take Baltimore Beltway (I-695) to Exit 25-Charles Street. Proceed South on Charles Street for approximately 2 miles. Just past the GBMC entrance, you will see a sign designating a left turn into Sheppard Pratt’s Towson facility.

      To get to the Ellicott City, MD, campus:

      From the North: Take I-95 to the Baltimore Beltway 695 to Exit 13, Route 144 West (Frederick Road/Catonsville) to Ellicott City. Cross over a small bridge and go under a railroad overpass. Turn left at the traffic light onto Maryland Avenue, turn right onto St. Paul Street, bear left onto College Avenue and follow up the hill about 1 mile to the Sheppard Pratt at Ellicott City entrance and follow the signs to the parking lot.

      From Washington and the South: Take 29 North past Route 108. Stay in the right lane and bear right onto Route 100. Take Route 100 to the first exit on the right, which is Long Gate Parkway. Turn right onto Long Gate Parkway. Turn left at the light at the end of the road onto Route 103. Proceed to light at Old Columbia Pike and turn right. Follow road down to traffic light at Main Street. Turn right onto Main Street and proceed to the next traffic light at Maryland Avenue and turn right. Turn right onto St. Paul Street, bear left onto College Avenue and follow up the hill about 1 mile to the Sheppard Pratt at Ellicott City entrance and follow the signs to the parking lot.

      For directions to outpatient sites and other programs throughout Maryland, visit the LOCATIONS section.
  • What kind of hospital is Sheppard Pratt Health System?

    • Sheppard Pratt Health System provides mental health, special education, and substance abuse services across Maryland. In addition to our inpatient and day hospitals located in Towson, MD, and Ellicott City, MD, the Health System also involves intensive outpatient, outpatient, and special education services. The Sheppard and Enoch Pratt Hospital is one facet of our health system, and is considered a private, not-for-profit psychiatric hospital.
  • What services are offered at Sheppard Pratt Health System?

    • We offer a broad range of services, including:
      • Inpatient Hospitalization
      • Day Hospital Programs or Partial Hospitalization Programs (PHP)
      • Outpatient Services
      • Community Mental Health Centers
      • Special Education Schools
      • Urgent Evaluations

      For more specific information, please call our Therapy Referral Services as 410-938-5000, Monday through Friday, 8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.
  • Do you offer professional lectures?

    • Throughout the year, we offer “Wednesdays at Sheppard Pratt for Health Professionals,” on varying relevant topics in mental health. For topics, please click here.

      Lectures take place from 12 p.m. to 1 p.m., at The Conference Center at Sheppard Pratt. For more information, please call 410-938-4593.

      The Sheppard Pratt Speakers Bureau also provides speakers on behavioral health topics to community groups of 20 or more. For additional information call 410-938-3157.


  • What is the difference between a psychologist and a psychiatrist? Who else might be part of the treatment team?

    • A psychiatrist is a medical doctor, who can prescribe and monitor your medications, and will typically meet with you once or twice a month, or as needed. A psychologist has an advanced degree in psychology and often fulfills the role of therapist.

      A psychologist can diagnose disorders or problems in their patients. They often work hand in hand with a psychiatrist who can prescribe medications, and will typically meet with you on a weekly basis, or as needed.

      While at Sheppard Pratt Health System, your treatment team may also include a therapist or a social worker:

      A therapist has a master’s degree and provides counseling services to patients. Like a psychologist, a therapist will typically meet with you on a weekly basis, or as needed, but will not provide an official diagnosis.

      A licensed clinical social worker (LCSW) has a master's or doctorate degree in social work and provides counseling to help treat people with mental illnesses. As part of the treatment team, a social worker can also provide case management, discharge planning, and help patients and their family advocate for the best care.
  • What is inpatient hospitalization and how does it happen?

    • A patient is admitted to one of our inpatient facilities to receive short-term, crisis stabilization treatment for mental health issues. Once admitted to an inpatient unit, the person is monitored and receives care 24 hours a day.

      A psychiatric evaluation is required to determine whether the person meets the criteria to receive inpatient treatment. Please call Therapy Referral Services at 410-938-5000 to determine whether there is a scheduled evaluation appointment available.

      If no appointment times are available, you should go to a local ER to be evaluated. Depending on the outcome, you may be transferred to one of our inpatient units or day hospital programs.
  • How young can a person be to receive inpatient care?

    • Patients must be at least four years of age to be considered for inpatient admission.
  • What is a day hospital?

    • A day hospital, or Partial Hospitalization Program (PHP) is a step below inpatient hospitalization in terms of level of treatment. For many patients, a day hospital is the next level of care they receive after they have stabilized or completed their inpatient treatment program, providing a patient with therapy or treatment during the day, and allowing them to return to the comforts of their own home at night. Other patients need concentrated care, but may not ever need the 24-hour monitoring that they would receive from an inpatient unit, so they start off in one of our day hospitals and then step down to a less restrictive program.

      Day Hospital programs are available at our Towson and Ellicott City Campuses.

      • Ellicott City Campus:
      o Adult Day Hospital

      • Towson Campus:
      o Adult Day Hospital General Adult Track
      o Adult Day Hospital Co-Occurring Disorders Track
      o Eating Disorders Partial Hospital Program
      o Harry Stack Sullivan Day Hospital
  • How young can a person be for a day hospital?

    • Patients must be at least five years of age to be considered for day hospital admission.
  • How long is the average stay for the programs?

    • Lengths of stay vary, depending on the inpatient unit. The average inpatient crisis stabilization stay is 5-7 days, depending on the patient’s needs. The average Day Hospital stay is approximately 10 days, depending on the patient’s needs.
  • How can I make an appointment for evaluation?

    • Please call Therapy Referral Services at 410-938-5000, Monday through Friday, 8 a.m. - 4:30 p.m. We will ask several questions to determine what kind of evaluation is appropriate and what services we can offer. Depending on your answers, we will refer you to the program that will best meet your needs.
  • My child needs to have psychological testing. Where can I get tests done?

    • Please call Therapy Referral Services at 410-938-5000, Monday through Friday, 8 a.m. - 4:30 p.m., to discuss the type of testing and options.
  • My adult child is in crisis and needs help, but does not want it. How do I get help?

    • In the event of a crisis, an Emergency Petition (EP) may be requested at the local courthouse. A judge will hear the facts and determine whether a petition for emergency evaluation should be granted. If granted, local police will take the individual to the nearest ER for a psychiatric evaluation.

      You can call the adult child’s physician, psychologist, licensed clinical social worker, licensed clinical professional counselor, county health officer or designee, or law enforcement officer to have them file a petition for emergency evaluation for possible involuntary hospitalization without getting a judge’s approval.

      If your adult child does not have a provider, you can call the mobile crisis team in your area.

      Mobile Crisis Team Numbers:
      Anne Arundel: 410-768-5522
      Baltimore City:
      • Adult: 410-433-5255
      • Child/Adolescent: 410-433-5175
      Baltimore: 410-931-2214
      Frederick: 301-662-2255
      Harford: 410-638-5248
      Howard: 410-531-6677
      Montgomery: 240-777-4000
      Prince George’s: 301-927-4500
      Eastern Shore: 888-407-8018
  • What if I am looking for a 30-day treatment program?

    • There are several rehabilitation services to which we can refer. Please call Therapy Referral Services at 410-938-5000, Monday through Friday, 8 a.m. - 4:30 p.m.
  • Do you have a substance abuse rehab program?

    • We do not offer stand-alone substance abuse rehabilitation treatment. We have a Co-Occurring Disorders Program on our Towson campus, as well as a Co-Occurring Disorders Unit on our Ellicott City campus, both dedicated to the treatment of co-occurring psychiatric and addiction issues.
  • Do you offer alcohol education programs?

    • Sheppard Pratt Health System, The Kolmac Clinic, and the National Council on Alcoholism and Drug Dependence of Maryland, sponsor the Dick Prodey Lecture series, an 8-week series offered in The Conference Center at Sheppard Pratt on Wednesday evenings from 7 p.m. to 9 p.m.

      Each lecture is free, open to the public, and is designed to be independent of the other lectures, so visitors can attend one, or as many of the sessions as they’d like. For topics, please visit: http://www.kolmac.com/lecture-series.htm or call 410-938-3900.
  • My family member has not been taking the prescribed psychiatric medications for a period of time, has started using alcohol, and is now asking for help. What do I do?

    • He/she could benefit from a one-time evaluation for possible referral to our Co-Occurring Disorders Program. Please call Therapy Referral Services at 410-938-5000, Monday through Friday, 8 a.m. - 4:30 p.m. so that we can assist you.
  • How can I get help with my trauma disorder?

  • How can I get help for my eating disorder?

  • How can I find a therapist?

    • To identify a therapist in the Sheppard Pratt Health System, call the Sheppard Pratt outpatient counseling center in your area. Outpatient centers are listed by county in the LOCATIONS section of this website.

      Or call Therapy Referral Service at 410-938-5000, Monday through Friday, 8 a.m.-4:30 p.m
  • How do I have someone admitted to the hospital?

    • For a patient currently in treatment - A clinician may call Sheppard Pratt Health System Admissions at 410-938-3800 to arrange to have the patient admitted.

      For a patient not currently in treatment - The patient must be assessed at any of Sheppard Pratt's outpatient counseling centers, which are listed on the LOCATIONS page of this website, to determine the most appropriate level of care. If it is determined that hospitalization is necessary, that clinician will contact admissions to make arrangements. Depending on availability of appointments, an Urgent Assessment can be arranged by the admissions office. Contact the admissions office at 410-938-3800 to inquire.

      For a patient who is unwilling or unable to undergo an assessment - To determine whether there is a need for admission to the hospital, involuntary evaluation and commitment to treatment can be employed if certain criteria are met, including the presence of imminent danger to one's self or others. For a complete description of the law governing involuntary commitment in Maryland see Maryland Statute.
  • What should I pack?

    • The packing list for each unit will vary. We encourage family members to speak with the nursing staff to best determine what is allowed on each unit before they arrive. Generally, patients are able to bring the following:
      • Clothing 
      • Toiletries (the units provide basics such as toothpaste, soap, shampoo, and razors) in small plastic containers to be stored in the nursing station, this includes makeup 
      • Snacks

      Please do not bring the following: 
      • Cell phones 
      • Cigarettes 
      • Electronics, such as iPods (must have approval from unit)


  • What insurance is accepted?

    • We participate with Maryland Medicaid and Medicare and many major insurance companies (including CareFirst, CIGNA, Aetna, United Healthcare and Kaiser). Because of variations between policies, it is best to contact your insurer directly to determine whether we are in their network for your plan.
  • My insurance gave me a list of providers. Are they all accepting new patients?

    • Not all doctors listed have outpatient practices. Please call Therapy Referral Services at 410-938-5000, Monday through Friday, 8 a.m. - 4:30 p.m., and we will refer you to an appropriate doctor for your needs.
  • How do I know what provider is right for me?

    • Finding the right provider is very important to ensure you receive the appropriate care, based on your individual needs. We work with you to find a provider that is right for you. Please call Therapy Referral Services at 410-938-5000, Monday through Friday, 8 a.m. - 4:30 p.m.
  • What if I am looking for a concierge level of care and will be paying out of pocket?

    • The Retreat is Sheppard Pratt Health System’s premiere private pay program for treatment of a wide range of mental health programs. Please call 410-938-4085 for more information on The Retreat.

Patient Rights/Medical Records

  • How do I obtain medical records?

    • 1) If medical records must be sent to another clinician, referred to by Sheppard Pratt Health System, a patient will be prompted to sign the appropriate release of information form prior to medical records being shared. The form can be obtained by calling the HIM Department at 410-938-4219, or can be downloaded by clicking here

      If a patient’s family member wants to obtain the medical records of a deceased individual, a Medical Records Release form signed by the Executor of the Estate is required. The Medical Records Release form must be accompanied by a Letter of Administration indicating the individual as Executor of the Estate.

      To learn more about becoming Executor of the Estate, please contact the Register of Wills for the county in which the patient resided at the time of death. If you are designated Executor of the Estate, you will be granted a Letter of Administration. The Medical Records Release form submitted to the Health Information Management department must be signed by the recipient of the Letter of Administration.

      2) If a clinician is requesting medical records and no referral has been made by the Health System, the patient must send a written request to: Sheppard Pratt Health System Health Information Management PO Box 6815 6501 N. Charles Street Baltimore, Maryland 21285 The patient may also fax a release of information form with all pertinent information and patient's signature to 410-938-4296. If the treatment at Sheppard Pratt was related to chemical dependency, a federal disclosure must be signed by the patient as well.

      3) If a patient or patient's family member wishes to obtain a patient's medical records, a confidential consent release must be completed and returned to the Sheppard Pratt HIM Department. The form can be obtained by calling 410-938-4219.
  • What are my rights and responsibilities as a patient?

  • How can my health information or my medical record be used and disclosed, and what are my rights regarding my health information?

Careers/Volunteers Questions

  • Are the jobs listed on your website still open?

    • When a position is filled, it is immediately removed from our website. New opportunities are added daily.
      See the Employment Page for current job openings. All applicants must fill out an online application via the careers section of the website.
  • How soon are you looking to fill jobs currently listed on your website?

    • We are actively looking to fill all positions currently listed on our website. If you are interested in working for us but not for a few months (i.e. you are completing a degree or looking for a job in a school for the following school year, etc.), we suggest checking our available positions closer to when you are available to begin employment. However, we are always excited to connect with potential future employees. Use the links on each job posting on our website to be connected on LinkedIn to the assigned recruiter.
  • Can I do volunteer work or an internship at Sheppard Pratt?

    • Yes. Sheppard Pratt has a wide range of unpaid opportunities for volunteers and interns that include working with patients in a variety of settings, as well as positions in administrative support areas.

      Interns are required to complete the internship for school credit, and must be at least a junior or senior in college.

      For volunteers interested in administrative support areas, a volunteer must be at least 18 years of age.

      For more information or to apply to be a volunteer or intern, please see the Volunteer Page.
  • I submitted my application. Can you tell me the status of my application or can I schedule an interview?

    • We cannot provide status updates. Your information will go directly to the recruiter and you will be contacted if there is an interest. If 30 days passes since you applied and you do not hear from us, it is likely we are considering other individuals.
  • I can’t get the link to open the employment application. Can I send a resume instead?

    • We cannot accept a resume in lieu of the employment application. You must temporarily allow pop ups to access the application. Please disable your pop up blocker and try again.
  • Can you tell me the pay range for the position?

    • If a recruiter calls you to further discuss the opportunity he or she can tell you the pay range and give you an idea of where you would fall based on your years of experience and education.
  • What are the opportunities for growth?

    • While internal transfers are not guaranteed, we support professional growth and always like to promote from within whenever it makes sense given the position and program. We encourage you to openly communicate your career goals and interests with your supervisor so he/she can keep you in mind should a position become available.
  • Can I apply for more than one position at a time?

    • Yes. We do encourage you to be selective in your choices and choose the positions that are of the greatest interest to you. Once you have completed an employment application, you have the ability to access, edit, and resubmit it for any future job opportunities that may be of interest to you.
  • I filled out several applications and I know I have all the qualifications but my applications seem to be over looked. Why has no one contacted me?

    • For many of our positions we receive a significant number of applications. Unfortunately not every applicant will receive a phone call. The recruiters call those applicants who have the most related experience and/or related education for each job posting. We encourage you to reapply for future openings for which you are qualified.
  • I was recently hired for a clinical position. What do I need to know about orientation?