Join us for a virtual Psychology Workshop: Clinical Work with African Americans: Moving Beyond Cultural Competence
Presented by Danice L. Brown, PhD, Associate Professor, Towson University
The lecture will present background about the African American experience including how that experience may be shaped by racial discrimination and the effects of race related stress, racial trauma, and microaggressions. Elements of a culturally responsive mental health practice will be discussed including clinicians’ examining their own ideas, beliefs, and biases regarding the African American experience and developing an understanding of racial oppression and its effect on mental health. The use of a strengths based approach will be presented including an emphasis on culturally-specific factors in African American resiliency.
After attending this workshop, clinicians will be able to:
- Identify psychological issues that may be experienced by individuals who identify as African American.
- Describe challenges in mental health practice related to the sociocultural experiences of African Americans.
- Identify culturally responsible clinical strategies that can assist in establishing a stronger therapeutic alliance, developing effective interventions, and promoting resilience among African American clients.
About the Speaker
Danice L. Brown received her PhD in Counseling Psychology from The Ohio State University in 2008. She is currently an associate professor in the Counseling Psychology Graduate Program at Towson University. She also serves as the coordinator of clinical training for the program. Dr. Brown’s research includes work examining African American resiliency, racial socialization, the intersectional socialization experiences of Black women, and multicultural issues in psychotherapy. Her most recent publication focused on critical issues related to Black women’s identities and provided suggestions for incorporating intersectional pedagogy around Black women’s mental health in clinical training. In addition to her work in academia, Dr. Brown is a licensed psychologist with a private practice.
Fees + Registration:
- General Registration: $20, Sheppard Pratt and its affiliate agencies: $10
- Attendees participating for CME/CEU contact hours must have an ETHOS account to register for events, take posttests, and manage your continuing education credits and transcript entirely online.
- Select the activity by series, title, or speaker name, and “Add to Cart”
- Complete the online purchasing process and select attendance. Payments can be made by credit card online through ETHOS - We accept Visa, MasterCard, American Express, and Discover.
- Participants will be enrolled by an administrator. There is no pre-test for this workshop.
- Participants will receive a codeword during this lecture to email to firstname.lastname@example.org to complete enrollment.
- Lecture slides will be available here to view and download on November 5, 2020 from 12:00 p.m. until November 6, 2020, 11:00 am.
Withdrawal deadlines + refund policy
Friday, October 23, 2020 is the deadline to request a refund to withdrawal from this event for general registration. Refunds are subject to a $10 administrative charge. No refunds or credits will be issued for request for withdrawal after this deadline.
Psychologist Statement: Sheppard Pratt is authorized by the State Board of Examiners of Psychologists as a sponsor of continuing education. Sheppard Pratt takes responsibility for the content, quality, and scientific integrity of this CME activity. Sheppard Pratt designates this educational activity for a maximum of 1.0 contact hours for Psychologists.
Social Worker Statement: Sheppard Pratt is authorized by the Board of Social Work Examiners of Maryland to offer continuing education for Social Workers. Sheppard Pratt takes responsibility for the content, quality, and scientific integrity of this CME activity. This activity is approved for 1.0 contact hours in Category I credits for Social Workers.
Counselor Statement: Sheppard Pratt has been approved by NBCC as an Approved Continuing Education Provider, ACEP No. 5098. Programs that do not qualify for NBCC credit are clearly identified. Sheppard Pratt is solely responsible for all aspects of the program. This activity is available for 1.0 NBCC clock hours.