Our Therapeutic Program
Mann is a unique environment designed to meet the needs of our diverse population. We take pride in connecting our residents with everything that they need to thrive.
Following admissions, each resident receives an individualized plan addressing their behavioral goals, and our team supports each student in addressing their therapeutic, educational, and emotional needs.
We offer comprehensive dialectical behavior therapy (DBT). DBT is a form of psychotherapy that is effective for people who have trouble managing strong emotions and problem behaviors. “Dialectic” means that two opposite ideas can be true at the same time, and when those ideas are viewed together, they can create a new way of seeing a situation. The dialectic at the heart of DBT is acceptance and change.
In DBT, individuals are taught skills that enable them to experience their emotions without acting on them. They are also taught to replace problematic behaviors, such as self-injury or aggression, with skillful ones. DBT provides therapeutic skills in several key areas:
- Mindfulness: the practice of being fully aware and present in this one moment without judgment
- Distress Tolerance: how to tolerate pain in difficult situations without making the situation worse
- Interpersonal Effectiveness: how to ask for what you want and say no while maintaining self-respect and relationships with others
- Emotion Regulation: how to identify and understand the role of our emotions and how to reduce the likelihood of experiencing strong emotions
- Walking the Middle Path: when working with adolescents, DBT also teaches skills to promote behavior change, validation, and dialectical thinking
These skills help people focus on decreasing suffering, improving relationships, and creating a life worth living. Each individual is in charge of their own specific goals during treatment; they work with their treatment team to determine how to utilize the skills they learn in DBT to accomplish these goals.
Knowing that our residents come from diverse backgrounds and are with us full time, our program provides a wide range of activities and plentiful opportunities for growth. Throughout our school and our residential units, we incorporate DBT in all that we do.
We also take pride in establishing a physical and emotionally safe environment for our residents while they are at Mann. We set clear expectations for our residents, and they know they can expect consistent and predictable responses from our team in a way that makes them feel safe, secure, and respected.