The Retreat at Sheppard Pratt
Medical Director: Thomas N. Franklin, M.D.
Program Director: Karen McGovern, RN
Phone Number: 410-938-3891
The Retreat at Sheppard Pratt provides expert psychiatric care in a residential setting. Located on Sheppard Pratt's Baltimore, Maryland campus, it is our premier residential unit, offering patients seeking a private-pay, intensive, and highly personalized assessment and treatment program, a chance to make meaningful progress toward recovery. We offer an intermediate length of stay of three weeks to several months in a therapeutic milieu and provide nationally-renowned, expert care for depression, treatment-resistant depression, anxiety, personality, and addictive disorders. Our 12-year anniversary marks a new era for The Retreat with a new medical director, Thomas Franklin, M.D., a more intensive co-occurring disorders treatment track, and a recently renovated facility that provides unrivaled comfort.
Some of the unique features of The Retreat include:
- Experienced psychiatrists lead treatment teams and are directly involved in patient care.
- Expertise working with professionals at a crossroads, young adults, and adults facing life-changing events.
- Residential treatment in an open, unlocked setting.
- Use of technology, including cell phones, is permitted.
At The Retreat, we provide our patients with the therapy and support they need in a nurturing and comfortable environment, so that they may focus on healing and recovery from mental illness. The Retreat is designed for patients 18 and older, who are seeking a comprehensive and individualized treatment experience, unencumbered by the payment policies of third parties.
The Retreat offers residents customized treatment plans that include:
- Psychopharmacological interventions
- Three hours of treatment with their individual psychiatrist each week
- Six to eight hours of individual therapy each week with other clinicians as needed, including a family therapist, art therapist, social worker, movement therapist, wellness coordinator, and integrative nurse specialist
- 38 hours of group programming each week, including dialectical behavior therapy (DBT), psychodynamic psychotherapy, family therapy, and recreation therapy, including art therapy, Eastern movement, and meditative practices
The Retreat was one of the first programs in the country to provide NeuroStar TMS Therapy® as an alternative for patients who have not experienced relief from antidepressant medication. For more information on TMS Therapy, please contact Scott Aaronson, M.D., the TMS Therapy program director, at 410-938-3737.
Residents seek treatment at The Retreat because it provides exactly the level and intensity of care they need in a therapeutic, supportive, and nurturing environment. Click here to view a video from our new medical director.
Please visit The Retreat at Sheppard Pratt’s website to learn more about The Retreat, the treatment team, and TMS Therapy.
Group Therapy Session in the Courtyard on The Retreat at Sheppard Pratt